January 25, 1999
SUMMARY: The Sanitarian is responsible for conducting public health inspections under the provisions of the state sanitary and environmental codes, providing assistance to residents in health related fields, and assisting the Director of Public Health in the day to day operations of the Board of Health Office, as approved by the Board of Health.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: The Sanitarian will work under the general direction of the Director of Public Health or his/her designee.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: The Sanitarian will supervise temporary employees involved with environmental issues if so directed by the Director of Public Health.
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Shall hold at least a Bachelor of Science Degree from an approved degree granting school, with an area of concentration of public health, environmental health, biology, or other related science field. 2. Shall be eligible to become a Registered Sanitarian in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Current Registered Sanitarians and/or Certified Health Officers are preferred. 3. Shall be approved by the Department of Environmental Protection as a Soil Evaluator, or shall obtain said approval within 12 months of hire. 4. Shall have knowledge of the Commonwealth’s public health rules and regulations, and shall be capable of implementing them tactfully and impartially. 5. Shall hold a valid Massachusetts Driver’s License and shall have a personal vehicle for transportation. 6. Shall be neat in appearance and shall be able to work with the general public and other town personnel. 7. Shall hold no felony convictions and may be subject to a criminal background check by the Tewksbury Police Department.
1. Is appointed by the Board of Health as its Agent, working under the general direction and supervision of the Director of Public Health.
2. In the absence of the Director, shall ensure that the day to day operations of the office continues.
3. Shall be familiar with the duties of the Director and be capable of assisting him/her in carrying them out.
4. Shall be familiar with all rules, regulations, and laws concerning the public and environmental health in the Town of Tewksbury and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
1. Shall perform or witness septic system soil evaluations and percolation tests as needed, and shall perform appropriate inspections of septic systems as required by state and local rules and regulations.
2. Shall assist the Director in reviewing and approving septic system plans for alterations and/or construction.
3. Shall assist the Director in reviewing and approving applications for alteration and/or construction of all establishments licensed by the Board, including but not limited to rest homes, day care centers, food service establishments, motels, hotels, public and semi-public swimming pools, animal housing, and facilities handling hazardous materials.
4. Shall perform inspections and take appropriate actions concerning all establishments licensed by the Board, including but not limited to rest homes, day care centers, food service establishments, motels, hotels, public and semi-public swimming pools, animal housing, Massage establishments, tanning facilities, and facilities handling hazardous materials.
5. Shall investigate and take actions relative to complaints of violations of local and state rules and regulations, and conduct general inspections in the interest of protecting the public and environmental health.
6. Shall assist the Director in reviewing site plans submitted by the public and other departments to verify compliance with applicable codes, and to provide such guidance as is required to prevent public health nuisances.
7. Shall assist the Director in rendering reports and recommendations to the Board and other officials in the interest of public health.
8. Shall assist the Director in administering all public health programs sponsored by the Board.
9. Shall serve as Deputy Animal Inspector to assist the Animal Inspector in his/her absence.
10. Shall perform any other duty as needed to protect the public and environmental health as needed and required by state and local rules, regulations, laws, and bylaws.
THE ABOVE EXAMPLES OF DUTIES ARE NOT ALL INCLUSIVE BUT A GENERALIZATION OF THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES RELATED TO THE BOARD OF HEALTH.
Salary Range: $37,215 – $45,236